Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My daughter's first try at bread making (the lineage continues)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25596455@N00/3226406961/?addedcomment=1#comment72157613010112273


Bakerwoman God,
I am your living bread,
Strong, brown Bakerwoman God.
I am your low, soft, and being-shaped loaf.
I am your rising
bread, well-kneaded
by some divine and knotty
pair of knuckles,
by your warm earth hands.
I am bread well-kneaded.

Put me in fire, Bakerwoman God,
put me in your own bright fire.

I am warm, warm as you from fire.
I am white and gold, soft and hard,
brown and round.
I am so warm from fire.

Break me, Bakerwoman God.
I am broken under your caring Word.
Drop me in your special juice in pieces.
Drop me in your blood.
Drunken me in the great red flood.
Self-giving chalices swallow me.
My skin shines in the divine wine.
My face is cup-covered and I drown.

I fall up
in a red pool
in a gold world
where your warm
sunskin hand is there
to catch and hold me.
Bakerwoman God, remake.

--Alla Renee Bozarth
as published in Celebrating Women's Spirituality
1992, The Crossing Press, Freedom CA (June)




2 comments:

Food Grade Silver said...

well you just took bread to a whole new level!

Klootchman said...

No credit to me for that one. I've kept that women's calendar since 1993 for that poem. I put that 'cause you're a poet, and you know it. And now a breadmaker too. Kudos.